I know it might be uncool to admit it, but I like the rugby world cup
And it’s not just about the rugby, although for the most part it was a weekend of excellent games, a lot of which were tense and undecided for the best part of the game.
But for me, it’s also all the other things going on, highlights of this weekend include
- Kahurangi and his cousin Te Manaia watching the opening ceremony together and providing commentary. All commentary should be done by 4 year olds
- Spending Sunday morning with my family listening to a Welsh folk singer, followed by a Kapa Haka group, followed by eating South African peanut butter and beef curry.
- Watching USA vs Ireland on the couch with my wife, an ex college rugby player herself.
- The few minutes of thinking “Oh my god Romania might actually win this game”
- Giving a South African fan 50 cents, just as he was about to leave and not be able to buy the homemade ginger beer he wanted, and getting a huge bear hug in return.
- Te Po Atarau chasing a man dressed as a lion around the South African cultural festival, frantically waving a Welsh flag at him.
- The many and varied happy people walking around the waterfront, smiling and waving to each other.
I reckon it was a great opening weekend, I wish Wales and Argentina had won, but you can’t have everything. Fiji day at Te Papa on Saturday, you’ll find me and the kids there, bring it on.
In: Random · Tagged with: Kahurangi, Rugby, Sport, te po atarau