Mozilla Persona login support in Koha

Now that bug 9587 has been pushed up into the master branch of the Koha git repository, I’m pleased to say you can use Mozilla Persona to log into a Koha public interface. It works by using the email address the borrower has set as their primary email to match a borrower to the user logged into Persona. Since applications like Drupal and Mahara also support Persona you can implement a simple single sign on solution with very minimal effort. But the main win is we allow borrowers to login without needing to remember yet another username and password.

Posted on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm by Chris · Permalink
In: Koha · Tagged with: ,

5 Responses

1. Written by MJ Ray
    on February 27, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Nice to have more login methods, but disappointing it’s Mozilla Persona. Can the infrastructure be extended to http://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=3237 or the other alternatives, do you think?

2. Written by Chris
    on February 27, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I’m actually happy it’s Persona, which is why I did it. Since the library can run its own persona server and even it’s own IDP if it wishes. I have no interest in openid, but im sure if someone wanted it enough they would write a patch.

3. Written by MJ Ray
    on March 18, 2013 at 7:49 am

I think tying portable logins to email address (as Persona does) is braindead and I’m rather cross with Mozilla promoting another half-baked login method before making what they already have usable in their browsers first. I wrote more on this a while ago in the comments on http://www.news.software.coop/comments-with-openid/1271/

4. Written by Chris
    on March 18, 2013 at 8:03 am

I actually think persona works really well, and is getting better all the time, so we’ll have to agree to disagree. It is also not like the feature forces anyone to use Persona, and you don’t even have to enable it.

As a OpenID fan you could simply write some patches to implement that, then people could choose. :)

5. Written by MJ Ray
    on March 19, 2013 at 3:40 am

I can only write some patches to implement OpenID if I’m paid to do so. As we’re currently paying off kohacon12, I’ve no budget to do other infrastructure work – this is the third time I think we’ve been in this position. At least this time it’s because we chose to do something positive and big!

Anyway, I find it rather frustrating when the funding doesn’t go towards implementing best tech first, but I guess that’s the cat-herding nature of this at the moment. I’m hoping that the core work funding discussion that Magnus is leading will relieve this.