Started with introductions.
People talked about their frustrations.
- Recyclables disposed of trash
- Packaging, rolls of paper wrapped in plastic
- Web based products, but backed up with printed manuals
- Organization not conscious of the environment, styrofoam cups etc.
- Printers that won’t print double sided.
- Free research guide, practical but also tying into Philosophy, connecting with global community
- Engage the profession at large, use existing networks/organizations
- Reusable coffee cups, Columbia Health sciences library gave out free coffee mugs.
- Fresh Aire initiative – Fresh Aire
- Programs/Collections based around being green
- Charges for printing
- Myth of the paperless Office – Book
- Use a wiki instead of printing out your drafts
- Materials for the Arts mfta.org
- Allow patrons to bring in used printer cartridges, return them to a refill place for a discount/free refills
- Green Line Paper
- A green library wiki
- More conferences like this, or even virtual conferences.
- Rebrand book sale into reread sale .. its not just about books its about recycling.
- Partner with other recycling agencies
- Energy Star
- Low or No VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) for furniture or paint (improves air quality)
- Report bad air condition to OSHA
- Use the biggest resource, the patrons. Allow green groups to meet in the library.
- Use some of the existing networks, like Palinet, Incolsa etc to leverage buying power
- Kilowatt meters – Kill a watt
- Optional date due slip
- Freegans might be willing to use unwanted items Freegan.info>
- Set an example, influence the culture of an organization
- Screensavers on reference computers
Green Librarian Organization
- Set up a Special interest group
- Radical Reference wiki http://wiki.radicalreference.info/index.php/Green_Librarianship
- Virtual Meetings
- Metro Meetings