Once again the Catalyst Open Source Academy was a great success. Thanks of course to the students, but also the tutors, mentors and organisers. I won’t talk too much about the first week here, I am sure that will be covered by others, but I wanted to talk about all the work the Koha team got done.
I had a great group of students, who worked really hard and got a lot done. The group work started great as the first day was Chloe’s birthday and she brought in a delicious cheesecake.
Myself, Aleisha and others from the Koha community had prepared around 40 issues for the students to work on. But by the end of the day they had already dealt 14 of them and were speeding up. This was just in the afternoon, as getting a working development environment took most of the moring. Which meant I spent the evening finding more work to do, not a bad problem to have.
- Setting up the development environment
- 12 new patches for bugs
- 2 existing patchsets signed off
For day 2 I had what I thought were trickier issues that should take most of the day to solve, but nope they still got through way more than I expected.
- Made new favicons for the Koha wiki
- Some html/css changes to scoreboard.koha-community.org
- Changed the theme on the Koha dashboard back to normal, not xmas
- 16 new patches for bugs
- 4 existing patchsets signed off
After another evening of scrambling to make sure I had plenty of stuff for them to do, we got into day 3. I had actually managed to get some quite tricky ones, which meant that although it looks they did less, they actually worked just as hard, but to solve much trickier problems
- Fixing up any of their patches that had failed QA previously
- 9 new patches
- 1 existing patchset signed off
Onto the final day, this was just a half day, as the afternoon was taken up with the students presenting what they had done, and a capture the flag security competition.
For something different, I got them to use Gource to create a movie visualisation of the work they had done that week. Here are two of them
They also signed off a few more patches, and even added a few new patches also.
In summary they were a super productive group of 4 young people, and I hope they continue with their interest in IT, the NZ IT community would be lucky to have them. Here are some quick stats from git.
- 39 patchsets created
- A total of 271 lines added, 95 removed (delta 176)
All of them have at least one patch in Koha now, and I expect that of those 39 patches, almost all of them will make it in.
I just want to finish with a big thanks to Aleisha and Francesca who helped out a lot, and to Kathryn, Liz and Lucio who held down the fort upstairs.
Oh and here’s some pics of “Chris pointing at things” It seems I do this a lot at the academy.
All pictures in this post are Copyright Catalyst Open Source 2016 – Licensed CC-BY-SA (2.0)