So this morning I was doing my impression of a T Rex making breakfast (don’t ask) and Atarau said “they don’t make that noise you know.” I said “you are probably right but no one has ever heard one”. That caused Kahu to jump in with “well what about homo sapiens?”
That started me on explaining neanderthals, cro-magnon, homo sapiens etc.
Which prompted the where did they come from question. So as I was making sandwiches for their lunches I attempted to explain evolution in 10 minutes, which resulted in the following comments.
Kahu: Oh, like upgrades.
Atarau: That’s why I like bananas eh?
Kahu: Oh and that’s why some kids are sometimes silly, they are still growing out of being a monkey.
I’d call it a moderate success.
In part two of explaining concepts before being fully awake, tune in for Chris trying to explain sexism and racism.
Yesterday Kahurangi came to work with me, as he likes to do when he is on school holidays, but this day was a little bit different. Normally Kahu spends most of the day reading, and playing on the tablet, but yesterday he decided he wanted to do some work.
One of the bonuses of working on Free Software is that if your child says “Can I do some work with you?” you can say “Yes, lets fix a bug together” knowing that there is a good chance you can get your patch submitted.
So the two of us sat down to do some pair programming, Kahu at the keyboard and me beside him. It took us about 30 mins to get his dev environment set up, and check out a copy of the Koha source code. I knew of the perfect bug, while we were having our Koha team Xmas function (Bubbles and bugs, drink some bubbles and fix some bugs) we spotted that one of the developers names was missing from the about page. A perfect low barrier to entry bug to fix, but still one well worth fixing. It took us a little while to find the file that needed editing (got distracted showing him how to use locate) but once we found it, Kahu found the place that needed editing (the names are in alphabetical order so it wasn’t too hard) and we added the missing name. We then committed the fix to git, and created and attached a patch to the bug in bugzilla (bugs.koha-community.org)